Last year Marriott Hotels and Starwood Hotels & Resorts merged, and many people are wondering what will happen to the Marriott Rewards Starwood Preferred Guest rewards programs. Marriott recently announced some minor changes coming in 2018, but the 2 rewards programs will not be combined yet.
Marriott Rewards Starwood Preferred Guest Changes In 2018
Marriott Hotels recently announced that the Marriott Rewards program and the SPG Starwood Preffered Guest program will continue to operate independently of one another in 2018. Even though Marriott Hotels and Starwood Hotels & Resorts merged last year, the 2 rewards programs will continue to be 2 separate programs, at least through 2018.
Marriott Hotels announced some relatively minor changes to the Marriott Rewards Starwood Preferred Guest programs. Here are the upcoming changes for 2018:
- The Marriott Rewards program and the SPG Starwood Preffered Guest program will continue to operate independently of each other in 2018
- The Marriott Rewards status buy back will be discontinued in 2018
- Marriott Elite Rollover nights earned in 2017 will roll over to 2018. However, nights earned in 2018 will not roll over and will expire at the end of 2018
- SPG Starpoints will never expire for SPG Starwood Preferred Guest members with lifetime status. This is similar to Marriott Rewards lifetime status policy
- Beginning in early 2018, Marriott Rewards Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members can register to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® Status, and Platinum Premier members can register to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® President's Circle® Status
- SPG Starwood Preferred Guest members will be able to earn points on Hertz car rentals beginning in 2018, similar to the Marriott Rewards program
The big changes in the Marriott Rewards Starwood Preferred Guest programs will be coming in 2019. By then most or all of the hands on changes and modifications will most likely be completed, and the 2 programs will be consolidated.
You should link your Marriott Rewards account with your SPG Starwood Preferred Guest account, if you have not done so already. You can transfer points instantly between the 2 programs, and you can earn elite status in both if you have already earned it in one of the programs.
You can find more information about airline & travel credit cards here:
Here are some other helpful articles you might be interested in. These can help you live a frugal and debt free life, and make the most of your finances:
More useful links & information on how to earn free travel, and on other airline credit cards, hotel and travel airline credit cards to help you to earn free travel:
Book Hotels & Find Great Hotel Deals (over 1.4 million hotels)
Airline credit cards and hotel & travel credit cards are the best way to earn enough miles or points to enjoy free travel, whether for business or for vacation.
There are also other ways you can earn airline and travel miles or points.
Happy traveling !