Delta Airlines recently made a change to their checked bags policy for some international flights in basic economy. The new Delta Airlines basic economy checked bag fees already apply to US domestic flights. Now Delta customers on certain international basic economy flights will pay checked bag fees as well.
New Delta Airlines Basic Economy Checked Bag Fees Policy
Delta Airlines recently announced changes coming for customers on certain international basic economy flights. Delta will start charging checked bag fees for customers flying basic economy on international flights to or from Europe and North Africa. Traditionally airlines such as American, Delta, and United do not charge checked bag fees on international flights.
Here are the details of the new Delta Airlines basic economy checked bag fees policy:
- Basic economy customers will pay checked bag fees on flights between the US and Europe or North Africa
- Delta will charge $60 for the first checked bag and $100 for a second checked bag.
- Customers flying basic economy will pay $120 round trip for 1 checked bag, and $320 for 2 checked bags.
- The new fee applies to tickets purchased after December 6, 2017 for flights on or after April 10, 2018
- Delta Airlines basic economy passengers do not get seat assignments in advance, are not eligible for upgrades, and cannot receive refunds
Delta Airlines is trying to compete with low cost international carriers like WOW Air or Norwegian Air, which charge for checked bags and other items. However Delta most likely will not have basic flights costs as low as WOW Air or Norwegian Air, and this move simply seems like a way to increase profit margins. Delta has already greatly devalued it's SkyMiles frequent flyer award program, and this is another move that makes them a less attractive option.
You can find more information about airline & travel credit cards here:
Here are some other helpful articles you might be interested in. These can help you live a frugal and debt free life, and make the most of your finances:
More useful links & information on how to earn free travel, and on other airline credit cards, hotel and travel airline credit cards to help you to earn free travel:
Book Hotels & Find Great Hotel Deals (over 1.4 million hotels)
Airline credit cards and hotel & travel credit cards are the best way to earn enough miles or points to enjoy free travel, whether for business or for vacation.
There are also other ways you can earn airline and travel miles or points.
Happy traveling !